These Eggs in Purgatory are a quick and easy dish ideal for breakfast or brunch, but also for lunch or dinner. It’s a one-pan dish where eggs are poached in a simple tomato sauce. It’s ready in less than 30 minutes, it’s naturally gluten-free and it’s perfect to add to your Meal Plan.
1 Tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 big cloves of garlic
1 Spring onion or other type
4 cups (800 g) of chopped tomatoes
4 basil leaves
¼ teaspoon of salt
⅛ teaspoon of black pepper
¼ teaspoon of cane sugar
1. Chop the onion and garlic.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of oil into a skillet over medium heat. Once the olive oil becomes more liquid, add the onion and garlic and cook until golden brown.
3. Stir in 4 cups of tomatoes, add 4 leaves of basil, ¼ teaspoon of salt, ⅛ teaspoon of pepper and ¼ teaspoon of cane sugar. Place the lid, allowing steam to get out and turn the heat to medium-low.
4. Let the tomato sauce thicken for about 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the type of tomatoes you are using.
5. Break an egg into a small bowl and, with the help of a wooden spoon, make an indention in the tomato sauce and place the egg carefully. Repeat with all of the eggs.
6. Cover the skillet and let cook until the eggs are set to taste. For a runny yolk, let it cook for 3 minutes. The longer you cook them, the harder they will become.
7. Toast some bread while the eggs are cooking.
8. Remove the skillet from the heat. Add more basil for color and taste, and serve hot.
Keywords: vegetarian, eggs, brunch, breakfast, healthy, tomato sauce, easy, meal plan